Lantmännen Research Foundation
The Lantmännen Research Foundation is our own foundation that invests in research, at colleges, universities and institutes, both national and international. The Foundation is of great significance for our research work and plays a key role in work related to innovation.
SEK 25 million for research
Each year, the Foundation awards funding of up to SEK 25 million for different research projects. These investments aim to help us to develop ideas and support the generation of new knowledge that can add value throughout the chain from field to fork. The Foundation has three focus areas: Agriculture & machinery, Bioenergy & green materials, and Food & packaging. The aim within these areas is to:
- Increase production in agriculture while minimising negative environmental impact.
- Contribute to the development of a bio-based society by leveraging the potential inherent in agriculture.
- Develop profitable and sustainable food from grain and other plant-based raw materials.
Research findings should contribute to knowledge that can eventually be implemented within Lantmännen businesses or on our owners’ farms.
Apply for research funding
The next open call is in September 2020.
If you are planning a new project, we will be happy to discuss possible project structures with you. If you are planning a larger project, it is possible to apply for co-financing by our Foundation. We are also interested in degree work, feasibility studies and pilot projects within any of the Foundation's three focus areas.
Information on how to apply for funding, reporting and assessing applications is available at the Foundation portal.
Three focus areas
You can read about the type of projects we are looking for in the call for proposals. If you have a project idea that spans more than one focus area, you are welcome to contact us, and we will then help you choose the right area for your application.
Are you interested in applying for funding from our research foundation? Here are the criteria we look at when evaluating applications.
- Does the application contain a current description of the background and state of knowledge?
- Are hypotheses and goals well described?
-Is the issue scientifically described?
Proposed materials and methods
- Are the selected materials and methods validated and relevant to the research question?
-Are the proposed materials and methods available within reasonable time?
- Is the material and the method unique in any way?
- Are there any ethical or environmental risks associated with the project?
Applicant’s or group’s scientific expertise
- Is there an updated CV attached?
- Does the project group have the required expertise?
- Has the group previously been published within the field?
- Is the entire cost of the project accounted for?
- Are the costs clearly accounted for in the different parts of the project?
- Are the costs and other efforts reasonable? Can something be done differently in order to reduce project costs?
- Has funding been granted or applied for from other financiers?
- Can the project be conducted without the participation of the Lantmännen Research Foundation?
- Has the foundation’s limit of overhead costs not exceeding 30% of the total project budget been taken into account?
- Is there a clear time plan?
- Is the time plan linked to activities and deliveries?
- Is the project’s relevance, economic potential and time to market for primary production and/or industry and trade well described?
- Has the applicant described the impact the project can have in the area?
- Can the described deliveries be commercialized instantly or is further action required?
- Can the project lead to a patent or other form of intellectual property with commercial significance?
- Has sustainability aspects been considered?
Plan for the reporting of results
- Is there a plan describing how results will be spread?
- Is there a plan for handling patents or other intellectual property?
- Is the plan for reporting results linked to the time of the deliveries?
- Is there a plan for scientific publishing?
- Is there a reference group where the foundation is represented in (mandatory in all the foundation’s projects).
Do you want to know more about our research foundation? Please contact one of our colleagues at the foundation and they will help you!